Genetic Forensics Wakes a Dragon
A genetic investigation into the illegal trade of sailfin dragons has unearthed a surprise: a new species of the rainbow-colored lizards that resemble small dinosaurs. The finding highlights just how little is known about these mysterious and threatened animals.
Sailfin lizards (genus Hydrosaurus) look like they were pulled from a child’s coloring book. As the water-loving reptiles mature, their faces, dorsal crests, and saillike tails shift from a drab green and gray to vibrant shades of neon purple, cyan, and harlequin. That’s made them a popular target for an illegal pet trade which—along with destruction of their habitat in the Philippines, eastern Indonesia, and New Guinea—has decimated their numbers. In the wild, only juveniles remain in most populations, says Cameron Siler, the curator of herpetology at the University of Oklahoma, Norman.
This is a full body shot of this lizard, hence the name Sailfin.
I FUCKING NEED ONE
i gave my grandma two dollars to get me “an arizona tea and a Reese’s cup” and she brought me this and gave me my money back
this perfectly describes grandmas
My grandma would have given me a five and thrown in a new pair of shoes too.
im sorry i wasnt aware that this was the goddamn grandma olympics
11:03AM GMT 31 Oct 2008
Staff believe that the octopus called Otto had been annoyed by the bright light shining into his aquarium and had discovered he could extinguish it by climbing onto the rim of his tank and squirting a jet of water in its direction.
The short-circuit had baffled electricians as well as staff at the Sea Star Aquarium in Coburg, Germany, who decided to take shifts sleeping on the floor to find out what caused the mysterious blackouts.
A spokesman said: “It was a serious matter because it shorted the electricity supply to the whole aquarium that threatened the lives of the other animals when water pumps ceased to work.
“It was on the third night that we found out that the octopus Otto was responsible for the chaos.
“We knew that he was bored as the aquarium is closed for winter, and at two feet, seven inches Otto had discovered he was big enough to swing onto the edge of his tank and shoot out the 2000 Watt spot light above him with a carefully directed jet of water.”
Director Elfriede Kummer who witnessed the act said: “We’ve put the light a bit higher now so he shouldn’t be able to reach it. But Otto is constantly craving for attention and always comes up with new stunts so we have realised we will have to keep more careful eye on him - and also perhaps give him a few more toys to play with.
“Once we saw him juggling the hermit crabs in his tank, another time he threw stones against the glass damaging it. And from time to time he completely re-arranges his tank to make it suit his own taste better - much to the distress of his fellow tank inhabitants.”
This is one smart octopus.
No but for real though
scientists have theorized that if the octopus had a longer life span, they would create underwater civilizations THAT IS HOW SMART THEY ARE
JUGGLING THE HERMIT CRABS
I was watching a documentary talking about what a strange anomaly cephalopod intelligence is, because typically intelligent, intuitive animals learn things either by forming social groups to exchange skills and ideas or by living long enough lives to try things and gain experience. But octopus are both solitary and short lived, they don’t teach each other things, they figure them out independently and alarmingly rapidly.
Calm Bottle (aka Glitter Jar)
- Container: This is typically made with a glass mason jar, but since I often make these with children I use water bottles with smooth sides.
- One bottle of clear glue (not white glue that dries clear), or glitter glue: I like using regular glue so I don’t have to deal with the hot water since I make these in my office. Glue/glitter glue works best, but you could also use corn syrup if that’s all you have. You have to pour it directly in the water without letting it touch the sides of the bottle or the glitter will stick to it.
- Water: It can be room temperature if you use regular glue but should be hot (I use boiling water) if glitter glue is used. If the water is not hot enough then the glitter will become clumpy and separate.
- Glitter: I use mostly super fine glitter with a little regular sized. I sometimes add sequins, beads, shells, plastic jewels, etc. Glow in the dark glitter looks really cool if you can find it. Less (or even none) is needed with glitter glue bottles
- Food coloring: This is optional. Only use one drop or it becomes difficult to see the glitter.
- Strong glue or duct tape: This is used to fasten the lid to the container. I like using colored duct tape.
- Making a Calm Bottle (clear glue): Fill the bottle 3/4 of the way full with water. Then add the glue (and shake) and glitter (and shake). I use a funnel for the glitter. The more glue you use, the longer it will take the glitter to fall. I usually use the whole bottle. Add 1 drop of food coloring, if desired, and then glue/tape the lid on.
- Making a Calm Bottle (glitter glue): Instead of clear glue you can use glitter glue. If you go this rout then mix the glitter glue in a bowl with very hot water (I boil the water) before adding it to the bottle. If the water is not hot enough then the glue will clump up and not work. You can add 1 drop of food color and additional glitter is desired.
- Using a Calm Bottle: This coping tool can be used for a number of different issues. If a client becomes emotionally dysregulated at an inappropriate time they shake the bottle vigorously and then set it down and watch the glitter fall while taking deep breaths (how to teach deep breathing can be found here).
- Important Note: Many people use these for anxiety and panic attacks and I wanted to emphasize that this is merely a simple coping tool that can be useful in certain situations but should not be used to avoid dealing with underlying issues. This exercise will do absolutely nothing to get to the root cause or prevent it from happening in the future. Fear must be confronted, rather than avoided, for lasting change to take place.
- See my Jellyfish Jar for a similar post.
this just happened on my dash…
it happend again
How can you hate on cookies though?? Like, in any form?? They’re FUCKING COOKIES BRO!!!
don’t let the anti-moreos guy see this either
wait for it he has sources
hell yeah im here and im ready to whoop your substantially corrupt minds back into fucking place
You’re like 15 dude you ain’t about to whoop anyone’s ass
I have the power of skeleton memes on my side, what do you have? tom hiddystan? bendelick mumberdun? doctor when??? yeah
This is literally the most beautiful post on Tumblr